Reema Lagoo is a well-known actress born on 21 June 1958 and on-screen mother who has appeared in both Bollywood and Marathi films. She has a long list of unforgettable roles under her belt.
Reema Lagoo died of cardiac arrest in Mumbai on Thursday, May 18. She was admitted to Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital around 1 am after she complained of chest pain.
She began her acting career in the Marathi Theatre after which she became a household name for playing motherly roles in the 1990s and early 2000s.
10 facts about Reema Lagoo.
1. Her acting career started long before she was portrayed on film as a mother or mother-in-law. Lagoo's mother, Mandakini Bhadbhade, a Marathi stage and film actor, inspired her as a child. As a girl, Lagoo appeared in several films, including the 1964 film Masterji, which starred Durga Khote, the original mother of Hindi and Marathi cinema.
2. Lagoo's range of mother roles is incredibly diverse and fascinating, and she is now an inextricable part of the scholarly debate around the portrayal of motherhood in Hindi films. With each role, she fleshed out all that it meant to be a mother in a patriarchal society, from sexually assertive in Rihaee (1988) to more traditional in Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak that same year.
3. Nayan Bhadbhade was Reema Lagoo's real name. Following her marriage to Marathi actor Vivek Lagoo, she adopted the stage name Reema Lagoo.
4. Reema Lagoo has been nominated for the Filmfare Awards four times in the category of Best Supporting Actress.
5. For her performance in the 2002 film Reshamgaath, she received the Maharashtra State Film Award for Best Actress, as well as the Maharashtra Government's V Shantaram Award.
6. In 1985, she made her television debut in the Hindi drama Khandaan. Her roles as Kokila Kulkarni in Shriman Shrimati and as Devaki Verma in TuTu Mai Main, starring opposite Supriya Pilgonkar, earned her the Indian Telly Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role.
7. Lagoo’s acting abilities were discovered when she was a student at the Huzurpaga HHCP high school in Pune.
8. She worked for the Union Bank of India for ten years, and in addition to her acting career in Mumbai ( Bombay), she also took part in inter-bank cultural events and activities.
9. She met her husband Vivek Lagoo, a bank colleague and stage performer, in 1976 and they married in 1978. After their marriage, she changed her name to Reema Lagoo, but the couple later separated.
10. Mrunmayee Lagoo is Reema Lagoo’s daughter she is a renowned film actor she acted in few Bollywood and Marathi films apart from acting she also worked as an assistant director for Bollywood films like ‘3 Idiots’ and “talaash’.