Yoga is a set of practices, of physical, spiritual and mental discipline, which originated in India. It is one of the most trusted practices used by people all around the world, for physical, mental and spiritual well being. It is almost like a never-ending field, which offers nothing but goodness. Everyone knows about the basics of yoga. People who once start doing yoga have seldom been able to leave it.
People often say that one can see and feel the benefits of yoga just after a few weeks of starting it. It not just provides physical changes to your body, but also helps you relax and bring your mind to peace. Along with that, it also helps you control your breathing pattern and acts like a breathing exercise. A lot has been said about the benefits of yoga, and so we will not go deep into it.
While being one of the most effective ways of wellness and health, there are a few things that need to be kept in mind while practicing yoga. There are a few do’s, which must be taken into consideration while doing yoga, and there are a few don’ts, that need to be avoided at all costs. Given below is a list of these do’s and don’ts of yoga, which will help you, make sure that you are doing it the right way. Check these out and make sure to remember them the next time you do yoga!
Do’s and Don’ts of Yoga
1. You must end every yoga session with meditation or deep silence, in order to relax your mind and body.
2. While performing Asanas, do so with respect to your capacity. Do not force your body to do something it can’t. Only do as much as you feel comfortable with.
3. Keep a mental track of your breathing throughout the yoga session. Make sure to keep breathing at a comfortable pace.
4. Do not hold your breath while performing any Asana. Do so only if it has been asked to.
5. Make sure that you breathe through your nostrils and not through your mouth while performing yoga.
6. A yoga mat must be used while performing yoga, in order to provide proper grip and balance.
7. Make sure that your bladder is empty before you start a yoga session.
8. Always perform a warm-up exercise before going for complicated Asanas.
9. Do not wear tight clothes while performing yoga. Always go for loose and cotton clothes, which allow maximum movement to your body.
10. The room or place you have your yoga session in must be properly ventilated and have a pleasant flow of air through it.
1. You must not perform yoga in a hurry or in a state of illness or stress.
2. Do not have a shower, eat food or drink water for about 30 minutes after ending your yoga session.
3. You must not perform yoga right after having a heavy meal.
4. Women must avoid performing yoga Asanas during their menses period. They can go for pranayama instead during those days.
5. Do not perform yoga in the case of any surgeries or fractures. Only do so after consulting your doctor.
6. You must avoid yoga sessions during extremely hot or extremely cold weather.
7. Once you complete your yoga session, do not go for other strenuous exercises.
8. Do not perform yoga in a place that is not clean. Cleanliness brings in a kind of soothing feeling to our brains, and performing yoga in a messy state may lead to anxiety in some people.
These were the dos and don’ts of yoga. Make sure to implement these in your daily life, so that you can make the most benefit out of your yoga session!