Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer faced by people. It is a cancer that usually develops on the areas of the body/skin that is most exposed to the sun’s ultraviolet rays. The most common parts where skin cancer can develop are the face, arms, hands and chest. It may also develop on other parts of the body that are not as exposed to the sun’s rays, like, ears, scalp, lips, neck, genitals, etc.
The direct symptom of skin cancer & one of the early symptoms of skin cancer is the formation of a suspicious freckle, mole or spot on the skin. The other symptoms of skin cancer change with the type of skin cancer. Given below in this article is a list of the types of skin cancer. Check them out, and make sure that you keep checking your body for any of these signs of skin cancer.
Types of Skin Cancer
Let us start with the most serious type of skin cancer, that is, Melanoma. This may not be the most common type, but it surely is the most serious. The most common spots for this type of skin cancer to occur are the legs for women, and the neck, chest, back, or head for men. But, it is possible for Melanoma to form on any part of the body, even in the eyes. Here are a few ways to determine whether your mole or your freckle is a sign of Melanoma-
· Cancerous moles are always asymmetrical. If you draw a line through the middle of the mole, the two sides would look very different from each other.
· The edge of a cancerous mole or freckle is usually raised, ragged or notched. While normal freckles or moles have smooth and even edges.
· If you notice colour variation in your freckle or mole, then it might be cancerous. The shades that you need to keep an eye out for are – tan, brown, black, red, white, blue.
· Your freckle or mole must not be larger than 6 millimeters if they are healthy and normal. Cancerous moles are usually larger than that.
· Keep out an eye for any new moles or freckles that form on your body.
2. Squamous Cell Carcinoma
This type of skin cancer occurs in body parts that are more sun-exposed. Apart from these areas, this type of cancer may also form on your genitals or inside your mouth. The tumors that are formed by this type of cancer usually feel tender, while causing intense itching. If they are left untreated, they may grow larger.
3. Basal Cell Carcinoma
The basal cells of your body are the ones that are present at the bottom of the epidermis. Basal Cell Carcinoma occurs on these cells. It is more common for the parts of your skin that are highly exposed to sun rays. One positive point here- this type of skin cancer can be treated easily. It grows very slowly, thus the chance of it spreading to other organs or parts is less likely to happen.
4. Actinic Keratosis
This type of skin cancer is commonly known as a precancer. It is basically a lesion that is crusty or scaly. The various areas of the body that this type of cancer may appear on are the scalp, face, ears, lips, back of hands, forearms, shoulders, and neck. These are the areas that are mostly exposed to sun rays and hence these are prone to the chances of forming these lesions. It is very important to treat this type of cancer medically. Untreated ones tend to turn into Squamous Cell Carcinoma.